Good:

1. John Edwards

2. WCPN

3. Consumer Reports

Bad:

1. Plamegate

2. Iraq

3. Dick Cheney hunting accident

See if you can figure out why the good are good and the bad are bad. Then, think of all the people and organizations you know that are currently in hot water. Are the steps they’re taking on the good example or the bad example end?

By Jill Miller Zimon at 11:52 am February 10th, 2007 in Politics

Comments

6 Responses to “Examples of good and bad crisis management”

1. 1 Anonymous on February 10th, 2007 9:43 pm

John Edwards’ handling of the bloggers was good crisis management?

We shall see. According to Politico the religious Left isn’t too happy with Edwards.

2. 2 Anonymous on February 12th, 2007 2:28 pm

edwards’ crisis management was terrible. 48 hours to respond? and the story goes nowhere: we’ll be reading about these women for the next 2 years.

3. 3 anonymous #1 on February 13th, 2007 12:18 am

Maybe we won’t be hearing about this for the next two years. One of the bloggers resided from the campaign tonight; I wouldn’t be too surprised if the second followed suit.

4. 4 Jill on February 13th, 2007 11:01 pm

Okay – see – if I get occupied with other stuff long enough, my posts become moot. :)

Seriously though – yes, Edwards did the right thing. He should have done it faster, I would only say that. I agree in not firing them, I’m fine with Marcotte stepping down.

Would I have hired them in the first place? I can’t say – I really can’t and it’s not fair for us to second guess.

As for whether they’d be followed for two years and thus plague Edwards, I just don’t see it – we say that, and the MSM can do that, but voters are not so stupid – they, we are showing that over and over again. Now, yes, voters have made some bad choices, but in general – they, we just aren’t that dumb to let a candidate’s platform and race be governed by two bloggers’ backgrounds. Not worth it.

5. 5 anonymous #1 on February 14th, 2007 12:37 am

In my last post, read “resigned” for “resided.”

Blogger #2 has now resigned. I could be wrong, but I expect the issue will now mostly go away.

I do think the Edwards campaign erred in not vetting the bloggers more thoroughly before hiring them. Presumably the campaign would not have hired them and the whole problem could have been avoided. (If there was vetting and the campaign hired them anyway, the campaign is totally tone deaf.)

6. 6 Jill on February 18th, 2007 9:02 pm

And I agree – except that we know that that might be too presumptuous of us, since part of the question is, how much SHOULD what someone writes on their personal blog affect their professional work? Seriously.