So, you know how nobody reads blogs? Or how bloggers aren’t journalists? Or how bloggers are people who live in their parents’ basement and stay in their pajamas all day, never interacting face to face with anyone? Or how bloggers are people who just want attention, focus on traffic and want to figure out how to make money without lifting a finger?

Well, if the front page of this morning’s Chagrin Sun doesn’t bust a few of those myths, then, in my estimation, it will have busted at least one other myth: that newspaper people resent, hate, don’t understand or otherwise wish ill toward bloggers. I don’t know anything about how I was selected as the 2008 Most Influential Person in Pepper Pike beyond what the paper published. But I will say that I’m humbled, honored and incredibly impressed that the description the paper uses to explain why they think I deserve this recognition specifically and unabashedly credits my blogging. To me, that too is something worth recognizing.

I’d also like to congratulate the other people chosen on their achievements.

A note on this image: because it was oversized for my printer/copier/scanner, I could not reduce the size of the entire front page and then scan it in (I won’t bore you with the details of the ways I tried – I’m going to have it done properly tomorrow). So I removed the above-the-fold four most influentials from the other four towns the paper covers and placed the below-the-fold two people there instead.  Again, I will replace this image tomorrow after I get the front-paged re-sized and scanned.  (The electronic version is not available yet – I don’t know if they make it available but will keep checking.)

Here’s the text under the main headline:

Once again, the Chagrin Sun is naming a Most Influential Person for the year just ended.

The staff searched for the person who left the biggest footprint – for better or worse – in 2008 in each municipality served by the paper.

We hand-picked people with the moxie to take the lead, to take on a challenge, to stand up to the status quo or poke their heads above the crowd.  Or, they may have worked behind the scenes to make a difference.

Our choices are on this page.

Happy New Year. Here’s to people who will leave their own footprints on 2009.

And here’s the text next to my photo:

Jill Miller Zimon “Writes Likes She Talks.”  She’s the chief writer and editor for her blog, which keeps a sharp eye on local, state and national politics.

City Council rescinded its restrictions on political signs in residents’ yards last summer after Zimon featured the issue on her blog.

In the words of Eric Fingerhut, chancellor of the Ohio Board of Regents, “She is very powerful, so be nice to her.”

I’ll write about what the heck this even means in a separate post.

By Jill Miller Zimon at 9:23 pm January 1st, 2009 in Politics

Comments

28 Responses to “On being named 2008 Most Influential Person of Pepper Pike by Chagrin Sun

1. 1 Constance on January 1st, 2009 9:47 pm

Jill this is wonderful wonderful news. Congratulations!

2. 2 Jill Miller Zimon on January 1st, 2009 9:58 pm

Ack! I thought it was in draft form all this time – sorry – I have no idea what the post looked like when you saw it!! lol see – no one should read blogs.

And, thank you. :)

3. 3 Terry on January 1st, 2009 10:11 pm

Congratulations! A well-deserved honor.

4. 4 Wendy on January 1st, 2009 10:18 pm

Keep up the good work, Jill! Congratulations!

5. 5 Chris Baker on January 1st, 2009 11:39 pm

OK, I am officially jealous. I’m even jealous that you live in a place called Pepper Pike.

6. 6 Jill Miller Zimon on January 2nd, 2009 12:26 am

Constance, Terry and Wendy – thanks so much. It is a weird thing – I scoff at lists and this kind of selection all the time. Still – it’s kinda cool, for whatever it is worth – I’m SURE someone we know and love will come by to say why it’s worthless. I’ve already had someone say to me, before any congrats whatsoever, “Influential relative to what?” That was it. Sigh. Ah well – thank you just the same. :)

7. 7 Jill Miller Zimon on January 2nd, 2009 12:29 am

Chris – you crack me up. Do you know all these years they still don’t have a good explanation for Pepper Pike? But here’s the really strange thing – I know they paid to have a new website constructed – at least 18 months ago. And it’s never launched. Why not? They want us to have a new multi-million dollar police station – and we are agreed that we need a new one. But the price tag has ballooned dramatically and the most recent vote on the subject BARELY passed (by about 200 votes) (and the people who worked on that I thought of first re: most influential – but that’s another post).

Anyway – this town has some real problem that need to be faced – bucolic is so last century around here but the people who need most to give that up and find something to replace it with are the last ones who seem willing to confess to it.

Kind of like the existence of blogs. :)

8. 8 John Michael Spinelli on January 2nd, 2009 2:28 am

Good job, Jill! Now that we know from a Pew report that young adults choose the Internet over print papers to deliver their news, the editors and reporters of Ohio’s MSM [the ones still drawing a paycheck, that is] don’t have to read between the lines to know their longevity may be short lived. Recall about a year ago when I and three other new media journalists applied for Statehouse press credentials but were summarily denied membership in the Ohio Legislative Correspondents Association, the insider group that controls which reporters and which news groups receive “credentials” [allowing them onto the House and Senate floors during session].

Among your list of journalism shortcomings levied by “reporters” at “bloggers” was the declaration by one senior Dispatch reporter that reporters not bloggers produced “original content.” It was a red herring accusation as worthless now as it was when it was levied more than a year ago.

I’m not as prolific as you are in the writing game, but I research and write a story every 1.2 days, far more than reporters pulling down handsome half-century or more salaries do. After you take out the regurgitation factor of the thundering herd, our work is every bit as good as theirs, if not more so because we only have ourselves to rely upon, not a well-funded, well greased news room at our beck and call.

Congratulations on your recognition. It is well deserved, considering your trial by fire with the PD. JMS

9. 9 Ben K on January 2nd, 2009 2:50 am

Congrats Jill.

10. 10 Jeff Hess on January 2nd, 2009 7:51 am

Shalom Jill,

Mazel tov!

But you know, they still don’t get it. You’re:

the chief writer and editor for her blog…

Do they think you have a staff in there somewhere?

Now that I think of it, maybe they do. After all you write more in a week than the entire Chagrin Sun staff.

B’shalom,

Jeff

11. 11 Loraine Ritchey on January 2nd, 2009 8:13 am

Congratulations Jill -well deserved!

12. 12 Cynthia Samuels on January 2nd, 2009 10:18 am

How great is this? Of course you’ve been influencing me for ages so I’m not surprised but I’m so proud for you. I’ve been writing about role models this morning and you fit right in! You make us all shine. What a great way to start the year!

13. 13 Kyle Kutuchief on January 2nd, 2009 12:00 pm

Congratulations Jill. Keep up the good work.

14. 14 Tara on January 2nd, 2009 1:45 pm

What a great honor — congratulations, Jill!

15. 15 Becky on January 2nd, 2009 2:25 pm

Congratulations and happy New Year!

16. 16 Anon on January 2nd, 2009 5:12 pm

Congratulations!

17. 17 Jill Miller Zimon on January 2nd, 2009 5:16 pm

Thanks to all of you – I will respond/reply individually but…I have a deadline to meet and the topic was changed from…taxes (how often have I blogged about THAT!) to…Gaza.

Also, I’ve been out visiting w/Gloria Ferris for those that know her and she is doind FANTASTICALLY and scheming about how we can take over the world. Please continue to think good thoughts and pray good things for her continued recovery.

Happy, happy new year.

18. 18 BRM on January 2nd, 2009 6:55 pm

We are so so proud of you – as always. I admit that I sometimes find it difficult to wade through the Ohio political info since I do not live there, but there is no doubt about the wonderful job you do in trying to keep others as informed as you are in both Ohio matters and everything else as well. Your interests are universal and they both enlighten and inform in the most literate way. Congratulations!

19. 19 Tom Blumer on January 3rd, 2009 8:26 am

Heartiest congrats, Jill.

With great power comes great responsibility. :–>

20. 20 Maggie on January 3rd, 2009 11:51 am

So what’s so wrong with blogging in your pjs? or a big comfy robe with fuzzy slippers? LOL!

Sincerest congratulations for a well-deserved recognition!

21. 21 oengus on January 3rd, 2009 2:42 pm

Who is Dan Brown? Does every municipality have a most influential person?
    That it is not the Dan Brown author of Angles and Demons, because that would be interesting wouldn’t it? That being if that Dan Brown lived in Orange Village. But that would also be the alternative universe, that being the one were people that are most influential actually are interesting.

People need to take love and admiration more seriously, I mean common seriously.

Being on the front page of the Sun press is only marginally better than those fake headlines they sell at carnivals. I say frame it and put it over the commode, something to read while taking a leak.

A one photo wonder that writes like the wind, that piece of paper spins like it has a mind of its own, much like a little whirlwind in the big storm.

22. 22 Jill on January 3rd, 2009 5:47 pm

What the heck is this: “I say frame it and put it over the commode, something to read while taking a leak.”

Writing this criticism here does nothing to help local small town weeklies – write them if you want to complain. Leaving this kind of comment here does nothing but piss me off. Pun intended.

23. 23 BWM on January 3rd, 2009 5:54 pm

Congrats! Now that you’re a celebrity, can I get an autograph

24. 24 oengus on January 3rd, 2009 10:01 pm

Oh is that what the post is about, promoting the Newhouse local weeklies, I thought it was self promotion.
    Actually they are doing that, you…slap Goldberg to get noticed and then they give you a local weekly front page its a win win….

25. 25 Jill Miller Zimon on January 3rd, 2009 10:09 pm

I had to edit that one – if you have some pent up anger, please start your own blog. It’s not welcome here.

26. 26 muley on January 5th, 2009 6:34 am

Jill……congrats from afar. One word sums it up……..WooT !!!!
    Keep it up.

27. 27 Heidi Cool on January 6th, 2009 12:47 am

Well done Jill!
    It wasn’t so long ago that media scoffed at bloggers. It’s nice to know that they’re taking note!

28. 28 Joel Libava on January 15th, 2009 10:43 am

Way to go, Jill!
    But remember one little thing. Bloggers are NOT influential. Or important.
    Joel Libava