From AmericaBlog (via The Nookular Option):

Holocaust survivor and Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel criticized a Teabagger protester in Washington, DC this week who held up a sign showing dead bodies from the Dachau concentration camp stacked in a pile, and compared this to the Democrats’ health care reform plan. Here are a few of the Teabaggers’ responses to Weisel, posted on Politico:

Rothschilds nothing! Everyone knows that Obama is George Soros sock puppet. Wasn’t Soros Jewish once upon a time? May the Schwartz be with you.

The jews need to clam up and accept the fact that they are in a Chritian country.

This hollowcost thing is totally overblown by the jewish.

Eli Wiesel should just go back to Indonesia. I don’t see him condemnig the terrorist shooter at Fort Hood.

Elie is a whiner. She should stop her whining. You didn’t not complane when the libs were calling Bush Hitler.

You know what? The fact is that at a time in history, The Rosthchild family controlled practically everything.This is a fact. Not anti semitic. I resent the Jewish outrage at everything. I am a tea partier. obama is a Marxist and takes his orders from George Soros… it is similar and these people need to get a life., Why any Jew would support the Obama administation is a mystery anyway. He is a Muslim sympathizer and the greatest threat to Israel ever to sit in the White House. Wake up Jewish community. Take off the blinders.

Rothschild sign? Well its factually true. They were one of the primary families involved in founding the Federal Reserve and are still in it up to their necks. Obama, Bush, and every president since Wilson have done as the Fed told them. Since it a valid historical fact that this family was involved in creating and still has ownership of a substantial piece of the Federal Reserve (but nobody seems to know how much), I guess its now Anti- Semitic to discuss anything a Jew does critically? This guy is a Hebrew Al Sharpton.

Elie, how did that whole Madoff thing work out for you?

Elie Wiesel: Newest, most current tool of the sick, perverted, racist, anti-semetic Democrap party. Have you no shame Democraps?

“most American jews are not very religious and many are outright unbelievers, Jews in name only.” Many older Jews in America feel shame for BEING in America, rather than emigrating to Israel in the late 1940s. Many sent money to help the colonization, and a few sent Army-surplus rifles, but the majority came up with the most interesting excuses for not answering the call to gather together and forge their homeland.

Elie Weisel is disgusting PR-seeking profiteering demagogue who has made a fortune off playing on the world’s guilt trips about the what happened to the Jews during WW2. Most objective WW2 researchers agree now that the beastial Nazi”s, who happened to be anti-capitalist Socialists, killed even more Slavs and Gypsies in their concentration camps than Jews, but you don’t see the Slavs and Gypsies trying to profit off the “Holocaust” like some of the shameless powerful Jews in the media.

I sometimes wonder what has happened to the Jewish people?. The Bible says that they are GODs’ people and Israel is their home land. I see so many Jews seem to have abandoned their faith and I think this has to sadden our Father in Heaven. I see many Jews that are homosexual-actively promoting it as a “normal” lifestyle. I see many Jews involved in the ACLU- which I call the “Anti Christian Liberal Union”, this bothers me as how can one be against their Father and Son in Heaven who are for Life??. I see many Jews in Hollywood making filthy ,sinful movies-what happened to the good, Family movies??. I see many Jews full of Greed in Hollywood, Wall Street,etc. I see many Jews involved in abortion groups- how can one support the killing of human fetuses??, especially people who have suffered through the Holocaust??. I am not anti-semitic, I know many will come on here and attack me. I am simply stating what I see and I believe our Father in Heaven is wondering what is happening to his “chosen” people?. He sent his only son to Earth to die for our sins and I think He is wondering the direction our Country is taking??. I am praying for our Country and all the Jews in our Country and pray that our Father will forgive us all for our sins. I hope I have stated what GOD would have wanted me to say?. GOD Bless and Pray for our Country.

Old man should go away.

During my time campaigning, I was told by a now-former Pepper Pike resident that there are too many Jews in the city and I will get no help.

Comments like that and the ones above make one’s choices very, very simple. To wit, this post is? It’s posted.

By Jill Miller Zimon at 12:44 am November 10th, 2009 in anti-semitism, Barack Obama, Campaigning, Civil Rights, democracy, Jewish, Judaism, middle east, Pepper Pike, Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Comments

9 Responses to “On anniversary of Kristallnacht, this is how some Americans feel about Jews”

1. 1 Chuck Butcher on November 10th, 2009 4:39 am

There is something deeply wrong with a national political party that doesn’t react negatively to this type of thing. If the Republican legislators pointed at these signs and this rhetoric and laughed or scoffed it would be reduced. It doesn’t serve their ends to do so and that should tell you something.

I’m not saying anything to the responsible Republicans that post here, but their elected officials are another thing. I do have an opinion about their sticking with such people, but…

A silly play on a General’s name provoked huge outrage and… I’m sorry for you people.

2. 2 Lara on November 10th, 2009 10:36 am

I somehow don’t even think about politics when I read remarks like this. I think about what insanely sad statements they are about our collective humanity. Kudos to posting this, Jill. It’s hard to read, but necessary. I’m not sure whether to get angry and start throwing things, to sigh and walk away, or to counter the ignorance with a posting of my own…maybe all three in the course of the day.

3. 3 Boring Made Dull on November 10th, 2009 9:29 pm

Jill,

Thanks for posting this. One suspects that Mr. Weisel’s inbox catches this kind of stuff every day, in copious quantities. I can’t imagine dealing with this kind of horse by products after all of the horrors he’s seen.

He’s certainly right to complain about a comparison of Obamacare to the deathcamps. Just because Obamacare is likely to greatly reduce the quality of life for all doesn’t mean it’s on the slope to Dachau.

Out of the 11 responses (assuming that the paragraph breaks separate comments), the next to last is most interesting. If that’s one of the most virulent posts chosen to show what backward anti-semitic nincompoops the tea partiers are, we’re a long way from the pogrom. People who are praying for you and recognizing their own sinfulness seem unlikely organizers of repression. It’s the ones who don’t acknowledge their sinfulness that you have to watch out for.

Interestingly enough, anti-semitism seems far more virulent in progressive Europe and in the far left than in American conservatism. It seems like only yesterday that protesters were marching about going to war to make sure that the international bankers got their blood money for oil.

Sorry for the long and incoherent response.

4. 4 Jill Miller Zimon on November 10th, 2009 9:45 pm

BMD – not incoherent at all. I would not view the anti-Semitism in Europe v. here the same way as you do though. I think that while I know denial is a river in Egypt, many Americans – all along the political ideological spectrum, allow themselves to dwell and drown in that river. That’s at least part of why it may appear as though it’s not as virulent here.

Let me assure you, based on my campaigning in my own town, it’s plenty alive, unfortunately.

5. 5 Jill Miller Zimon on November 10th, 2009 9:47 pm

Chuck – I think the comments demonstrate that such stuff comes from all sides. And when we look at intolerance for Israel and Jews from the far left, it’s pretty nasty too.

For me, the take-away is 1) people embrace dislike and hate – that really disturbs me; it’s so negative. And 2) if you’re the kind of person who is ok with talking in terms of hate for another person, your political ideology really doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with it – you’re just going to direct it at a different subject.

Anyway – that’s how I see it. I don’t think there’s a hierarchy of who is less virulent etc. At least not right now.

6. 6 Jill Miller Zimon on November 10th, 2009 9:50 pm

Lara – thanks for leaving the comment and it reminds me of a third takeaway: not only do we fight such speech with more speech, as practicable, but we have got to work to ensure that we work to diminish the number of people who find this kind of speech acceptable. How? By holding up mirrors, by modeling the way we should be addressing what we dislike. By not feeding the attention hunger as best we can. I saw a tweet by David Shuster saying that was his exact dilemma re: Westboro Baptist’s protest at Sidwell Friends yesterday.

We CAN make better choices – and work to show others that those better choices exist. Unfortunately it is just absolutely exhausting.

7. 7 Jeff Hess on November 13th, 2009 7:59 am

Shalom Jill,

I’m beginning to think that this was the real reason for why President Ronald Reagan worked so hard to close all of our nation’s mental institutions, so that the former inmates could bolster the ranks of the Republican Party.

I don’t think he realized how much damage this tiny minority could cause and how impossible it would become to control them.

B’shalom,

Jeff

p.s. i cast my vote for the nuclear option on the far-more-than-annoying twitter pop-up.

8. 8 Jill Zimon on November 13th, 2009 8:18 am

Hi Jeff – I wish I could find an answer to that pop up too – as I mentioned, I apparently have a less virulent version than what some people are experiencing. I’ll continue to see how to get rid of it. I could just scrub this blog, of course. :)

As for the closing of the mental institutions, don’t get me started.

9. 9 Joel Brigham on November 18th, 2009 8:40 pm

I participated in Cincinnati’s 15 April Tea Party, and those anti-semitic comments IN NO WAY reflect my sentiments – nor those of practically everyone else in attendance

Jew-bashing has been gaining acceptance on the LEFT end of the political spectrum for a few decades now, and I don’t trust anyone who’s been turning a blind eye to that fact *COUGH*newt gingrich*COUGH*