JILL MILLER ZIMON
Council Member, Pepper Pike City Council, Pepper Pike, Ohio 2010-present
- Elected to first term on Pepper Pike City Council in November 2009 after first time running for office. First-ever candidate for City office to have campaign website and use Flickr, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook. First-ever City elected official to have a blog that tracks Council experience.
- Chair of Communications/Technology/Website Committee (2010-present)
- Member, Financial Oversight Subcommittee of Finance Committee (2010-2011; committee disbanded by new mayor)
Political Commentator, Pepper Pike, Ohio 2005-present
- Analyze and assess local, regional and national events, new media and politics. Appearances include CNN, BBC, Radio Ulster, Third Rail Radio, Feagler & Friends, Capitol Square (Ohio) and WCPN’s The Sound of Ideas weekly regional round-up. Profiled for this work by Cleveland Jewish News (2006).
- During the 2008 general presidential election: sole Ohio contributor to Newsweek.com’s The Ruckus, a site that aggregated news and opinion from seven to nine blogs based throughout the country.
- Serve as keynote speaker or panelist at engagements such as American Association of Political Consultants Academic Outreach Conference, Society of Professional Journalists annual conference, Summit County Children and Family Leadership Exchange Media Day and Case Western Reserve University’s Collaboration Summit among others.
- Maintain nationally noted Ohio-based political blog, Writes Like She Talks (July 2005-present).
- Co-blog on The Moderate Voice, also a participant in Newsweek.com’s The Ruckus
Freelance Writer, Social Media and Civic Engagement Strategist, Pepper Pike, Ohio 2002-present
- Author of articles, op-eds and essays on topics including but not limited to: current affairs, the law, religion, mental health, health care, aging, parenting, writing and general interest.
- Reported on Cleveland Democratic primary debate for Newsweek.com’s The Ruckus participant, The Moderate Voice.
- Published in The Plain Dealer, The Sun Newspapers, Writer’s Digest, The Writer, Quill, ASU Magazine, Suburban Focus, AmeriKidz and other print and online markets.
- Assignments of note:
NPR Presidential Election Night Social Media Warroom 2012, 2008
- Selected to cover the 2008 and 2012 presidential election from the NPR studio in Washington, D.C.
Moms Clean Air Force, momscleanairforce.com 2011
- Wrote for online and offline project of the Environmental Defense Fund
Contributing Editor, BlogHer.com September 2008-present
- Write, edit and post columns regularly about politics and other topic areas for a community of more than ten million readers
- Wrote original content about the presidential elections
Newsweek.com’s The Ruckus Fall 2008
- Wrote original content about the presidential elections as only Ohio voice for highly selective nine-blog national outlet
- One of less than two dozen bloggers selected to cover election night 2008 from NPR studios
Wide Open, for Cleveland.com/The Plain Dealer 2007
- Assisted in the creation of start-up online media venture initiated by The Plain Dealer in conjunction with cleveland.com
- Debated politics with partisan thinkers in an online forum through written entries posted several times a day
- Moderated and engaged in reader-initiated conversation via blog-based comment system
Director of Partnerships, The Civic Commons, Cleveland, Ohio May 2012-July 2013
- Research, identify, target and develop +300 prospective clients for online civic and public engagement services
- Craft and execute communications strategy geared to secure prospects as clients
- Built database tracking system to manage prospects
Project Director; Network Facilitator: EfficientGovNetwork, The Civic Commons, Cleveland, Ohio August 2011-December 2012
- Designed, edited and launched extensive online virtual hub platform in less than six weeks for the Fund for Our Economic Future’s EfficientGovNetwork (“Network”) effort for government collaboration
- Directed Network activity that resulted in a $100,000 Local Government Innovation Fund grant
- Co-produced Shared Services Expo with ideastream, WVIZ, the Ohio State University Extension Program, the Center for Community Solutions and other partners; attended by +165 government decision-makers
Columnist, Contributing Editor, Writer, Cleveland Family, Ohio 2004-2012
- Research and write column for +85,000 circulation family magazine publisher in Northeastern Ohio. Personal essay column about parenting has won two gold (2004, 2005) and one bronze medal (2007) from the largest national organization for regional parenting publications.
- Feature article topics have included a three-part series on education testing since No Child Left Behind, contributions of art education, summer camp options, independent private schools and the openings of the Ideas Center at Playhouse Square and the Maltz Museum of Jewish Heritage.
Storyteller, KnowlegdeWorks Foundation, Ohio 2004-2006
- Interviewed, observed, explored and narrated story about the personal impact on teachers, administrators, students, parents and community at a high school affected by the Ohio High School Transformation Initiative, a program supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that promotes the conversion of large urban high schools into several small schools.
- Publication for 2005-2006 academic year received 2007 Silver Award for Excellence in Communications from the Council on Foundations.
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
Ombudsman; Director of Risk Management, Bellefaire JCB, Shaker Heights, Ohio 1992 – 2000
- Authored memos and briefs for children and family mental health agency that served 6000+ clients annually.
- Wrote or modified contracts with county entities, insurance companies and managed care corporations.
- Wrote and instructed mental health professionals’ in-service training on the topics of duty to warn, legal liability, testifying in court, duty to report.
- Conducted legal and social work triage with clinicians on individual cases in order to secure placement as requested and needed for each child.
- As Ombudsman, nominated for Peter F. Drucker Award in Nonprofit Innovation.
Principal Investigator, University Hospitals, Cleveland, Ohio 1989 – 1995
- Authored grant-winning application for the research, development and training of pediatric health care professionals to identify, assess and intervene on behalf of domestic violence victims.
- Co-authored and taught instruction manual for pediatric health care professionals.
- Wrote progress reports for funding agent.
Kronenberg & Kronenberg, Cleveland, Ohio 1990-1995
- Researched, wrote and helped process legal documents pursuant to workload as a law clerk and, after passing the Ohio bar exam, as Of Counsel for small law firm.
- Practice areas included domestic relations, child custody and visitation, and probate.
- Law clerk from 1990-1992
Yale University Development Office, New Haven, CT 1985 – 1988
- Designed and wrote presentations on trends in corporate and foundation giving.
- Supervised and edited research of Corporate and Foundation Relations staff.
- Wrote biographical, financial and personal histories of Major Gifts prospects.
- Progressed from Researcher in Major Gifts to Director of Research in Corporate and Foundation Relations.
Sherut La’am, Israel 1984-1985
- Participated in year-long volunteer program based in Israel. Attended ulpan (language institute) on Moshav Bar Giora and worked in Levi Eshkol School in Bet Shemesh.
- Worked in the gan (nursery or pre-school) at Kibbutz Gezer.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 1992 JD/MSSA (law and social work)
- Field work: Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court Diagnostic Clinic; Cleveland City Council; Career Beginnings
- Summer work: Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court Program Planning Department; Law Clerk for Judge Peter Sikora
- Georgetown University, College of Arts and Sciences, 1984 Bachelors of Arts, Government and Sociology
HONORS and AWARDS (partial)
2011 New Media Strategies Campaign Innovator
2011 Top 25 Political Mom Blogs (Circle of Moms)
2010 Political Figures to Watch (Cleveland Scene, 1/10)
2009 Journalist of the Month (Women’s eNews, 3/09)
2008 Most Influential Person in Pepper Pike, Ohio, Sun Newspapers (Chagrin Sun, 1/09)
2008 WE Magazine’s 101 Women to Watch This Fall
2007 Bronze Medal, 35-54K circulation, Parenting Publications of America, Column: Humor
2005 Gold Medal, 35-54K circulation, Parenting Publications of America, Personal Essay
2004 Gold Medal, 55K and up circulation, Parenting Publications of America, Personal Essay
2004-2006 Marcus Leadership Institute, Inaugural Class Graduate
2013 Leader, social media boot camps: Cuyahoga Democratic Women’s Caucus, Press Club of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University
2013 Moderator, BlogHer’13 How to Run for Office
2013 Moderator, Engagement: It’s not just for breakfast anymore, CampaignTech
2012 Moderator, BlogHer’12 Online tools for women running for office
2012 Panelist, Not Your Mother’s Politics
2012 Guest speaker, Campaign Battleground, UAkron Bliss Institute of Applied Politics
2011 Panelist, CampaignTech
2010 Panelist, AAPC Academic Outreach, Old Media/New Media: Communicating with Voters
2010 Keynote “Call to Action” Speaker, White House Project Training at BlogHer
2009 Panelist, Netroots Nation
2009 Press, Politics Online Conference
2009 Panelist, Fem2pt0, Working Women and Policy, Washington, D.C.
2009 Speaker, Children and Family Leadership Exchange Media Day, Summit County
2008 Panelist, Ohio Election Summit, presented by NYU’s Brennan Justice Center
2008 Blogger, NPR Election Night Blogger War Room
2008 Speaker, BlogHer Annual Conference, Race and Gender
2008 Speaker, Annual Ohio Women’s Business Conference & Expo
2008 Panelist, Collaboration Symposium, Case Western Reserve University
2008 White House Project Ohio Go Run! Speaker, Attendee
2008 Press corps, WAM!2008 (Women, Action and the Media), at MIT
2008 Press corps, Democratic Primary Debate, Cleveland State University
2008 Speaker, RootscampOH
2007 Keynote panelist, American Association of Political Consultants Academic Outreach, University of Akron, Bliss Institute of Applied Politics
2007 Speaker, Youngstown Press Day
2007 Speaker, RootscampOH
2005 Speaker, Society of Professional Journalists Annual Conference, The Business of Freelancing
BOARDS, MEMBERSHIPS and LICENSES (partial)
- Member, Cuyahoga County Democratic Party, Executive Commitee (2013-present)
- Member, Urban League of Greater Cleveland Board of Trustees (2013-present)
- Trustee, American Jewish Committee (2009-present)
- Trustee, B’nai Jeshurun Congregation (2006-2009)
- Member, Media Bloggers Association through co-blogger status at The Moderate Voice (2007-present)
- Member, Pepper Pike Democratic Club (2007-present)
- Member, Society of Professional Journalists Cleveland Pro Chapter (2003-present; Board, 2007)
- Member, Poets’ & Writers’ League of Greater Cleveland (2003-present)
- Board Member, Orange Parents Education Network (2000-2006)
- Member, Ohio Bar (admitted November 1992; inactive status since 2005)
- Ohio Licensed Social Worker (1992-2004)